Qualifications and Professional Development
Dip Mechanical Engineering
Masters in Business Administration
John has over 25 years senior management experience in various industries. He started out as a Cadet in Mechanical Engineering with an air conditioning manufacturer gaining experience in fitting and turning, boiler making, electrical circuitry and field service work while at the same time completing his studies in a Diploma of Mechanical Engineering.
John's career in sales and marketing began soon after completing his diploma,as he derived a lot of satisfaction in dealing directly with customers. As a Sales Engineer, he developed the skills of listening to and understanding the Customer needs and to provide the most effective solution helped in large part by the knowledge and discipline of the Engineering training.
After 15 years in the air conditioning industry and after having occupied senior positions as Sales Manager, Dealer Development Manager and National Sales Manager, John decided to move to Queensland to be closer to family and made a career change to be a successful owner/operator of a Mitre10 hardware store as a family business for 3 years.
Another career change and a great opportunity presented itself as State Manager for the Locks and Safes Division of Chubb Security. This was the beginning of a successful 10 year career with Chubb underpinned by John's ability to meet the business objectives consistently, and where he subsequently served as State Sales Manager for the Electronic Security Division followed by a move to the national head office as National Sales Manager for the Regional Networks Division and later General Manager Marketing for the Electronic Security Division. To put this last position into context, the turnover of the Division was in excess of $A300m p/a.
While in the national roles, John completed a Masters in Business Administration. In each of those positions he instigated new approaches in developing a team culture for sales and operations staffs to work for the delivery of improved customer service and at the same time give rise to the feeling of contribution by individuals for collectively achieving the required objectives. His other key achievements were to:
- Successfully integrated four sales business units into one to deliver volume and revenue requirements as Queensland Sales Manager.
- Spearhead the implementation of a national sales management and training system in market segments and engaged employees in the strategic vision of excellent service delivery as General Manager of Marketing.
- Formulate training programs in sales presentation and in sales management which were personally presented and made available on line via an intranet for reference and refresher sessions for Sales Managers and their teams.
The contents of those programs included:
- Skills gap determination
- Research the customer value proposition
- Research the selling solution
- Individual plan of development
- Individual plan of activity
- Case studies and role play
- Managing for results, coaching and counseling
John now works as a consultant and does project work in sales and marketing. He also tutors and lectures at the Queensland University of Technology in Integrated Marketing Communications and produces research papers on various topical issues.